Band steering is used to assign the band to the wireless devices for connecting them to the network. This feature helps in reducing the co-channel interference and along with this it also helps in making use of available bandwidth efficiently. If you want to make changes to the default band steering option of your Linksys router, then go through the steps mentioned here as under:
Linksys Smart Wi-Fi steps:
- Go to the router setup page and click on ‘Instructions’.
- Go to ‘Wi-Fi settings’.
- Select band steering settings for your Wi-Fi. The same name will be used in all three bands. Different settings available for Steering option on router are:
- All band steering: This is enabled by default. In this option, all bands are combined to form one Wi-Fi.
- 5 GHz band steering: This option is recommended when you need a different name for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. This band will disable band steering on 2.4 GHz. The band steering for 5 GHz will remain available.
- Off: This option will turn off band steering for all bands. You can then create a specific name for each Wi-Fi with different bands.
- Save changes by clicking ‘ok’.
- From your smartphone or tablet, open Linksys app and click ‘Login’.
- Enter login credentials of your Linksys cloud account. Click ‘Login’. For local access, enter login details and password.
- Click on the name of the Wi-Fi from the dashboard and open relative settings.
- Click on ‘Band steering’ option and make changes according to your choice. The settings are same from the web-based setup page as well as from the Linksys app.
- Tap ‘Save’ to make changes and apply them successfully.
Advanced wireless settings
The advanced settings of the wireless network depend on the band steering option you have selected on the Linksys app.
If all band steering option is selected: You can change the security type only in this option rest all settings will set to ‘Auto’ mode. You can enable or disable Broadcast SSID. There is an option to turn off the Wi-Fi radios.
If 5 GHz band steering is selected: You can alter all wireless settings of 2.4 GHz band, broadcast SSID and turn off the 2.4 GHz radio. 5 GHz1 and 5GHz2 security type, Broadcast SSID and other radio options can be changed through this mode. Apart from this, all other options will remain to ‘Auto’ mode.
For off option: All the three different bands with individual wireless settings can be changed. You have the option to turn off individual radio like 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 5 GHz.