What is Linksys Velop?
Linksys has come up with an incredible routing device that is most likely to be prevalent in the days to come. The name of the device is Velop, and it is the whole-home Wi-Fi system, which resembles Netgear Orbi. The reason why Linksys unveiled a mesh-router system is that the traditional routers were unable to cover the entire premises with strong and consistent internet connectivity.
Linksys Velop can work as both the router as well as Wi-Fi Extender, thus providing users with lightning fast and extremely reliable internet signals when required. To transform the unit into a Wi-Fi extender, users just need to add a new router or node to their existing router system. As they do so, the internet network is going to become ultra-fast.
Linksys Velop is available as a single device, but when it comes to using the Velop mesh-router system, the user will have to buy a pack of at least three Velops. They can add more devices depending upon the length of the signal they want the internet signal to extend to. Moreover, there is no need to create multiple Wi-Fi names and passwords, as the credentials created at the time of setting up the primary node will be used throughout. Moreover, the signal won’t be lost when you are going from one room to another within the house. To enjoy the features of Linksys Velop, you need to first understand the process of setting up the device.
How to perform Linksys Velop Setup?
Linksys Velop setup is a process that can be the simplest to the most difficult processes at the same. You will experience both extremes in a single process, that’s how weird the setup procedure is.
- Prior to setting up the device, you need to fulfill the most important prerequisites, i.e., downloading and installing Linksys Mobile App, which is available for both iOS and Android platforms.
- Once you download the app, create an account on the same and then, start adding the nodes.
- With this app, the process of Linksys Smart Wifi router setup becomes easier, as you are aware of every single connection. All the information about the connection and configuration of nodes and their placement in the house will be given in the app.
- You can set up Linksys Velop in two ways. In the first way, you can use Velop as access points that would work with an existing router. In case, the router supports USB sharing, then you can use that feature as well. The second method includes one of the nodes replacing the existing router and all the access points. This is the end of the ‘simple’ Linksys Velop set up process, and with that, the difficult process begins.
- Now, the difficulties in setting up Linksys Velop comes due to the fact that there isn’t an option beyond the app route. All other routers offer a web-based menu system, but not Linksys Velop. The service is available, but only for Linksys people and not for users.
- This also indicates that the Linksys Velop system can only be configured and fixed if the user is using a mobile device with the Linksys app installed on it.
- Despite installing the app, the setup process is not going to conclude quickly, as it usually takes around five minutes for setting up each node, so the more nodes you have, the more time it will take.
- The system also starts applying firmware updates on its own, which usually occurs in the middle of the night. The updates are downloaded and run as soon as the Velop system is set up. The entire process takes 30 minutes to complete.
- Linksys Velop comes with a synced router and a hub pair that need to be plugged and turned on. After that, you need to wait for a couple of minutes to let the device to boot up and sync. Now, the device is ready. You can easily change the default settings of the system from the menu, but if you are satisfied with the same, then the Velop setup process ends right here.
How To Set Up A Wired Velop System?
Linksys Velopis a robust internet system, which can be connected wirelessly as well with Ethernet cables. While everybody is aware of the wireless setup, it will be interesting to know as to how to set up a wired Velop system. The advantage of setting wired Velop system is to increase the speed and range of the internet and reducing the chances of wireless interference.
Only the primary node is set up using an Ethernet cable, so if you want to set up additional nodes, then those will be done wirelessly. Once you are done with Linksys Velop setup, connect nodes using Ethernet cables. The nodes will be switched automatically to a wired connection.
To set up a wired Velop connection, follow these steps:
- Launch the Linksys app and set up a primary node using it.
- On the Linksys app, include a secondary node via wireless setup.
- Once you’re done with Linksys smart Wifi setup, move the secondary node to the location where internet signal usually remains weak. Now, connect the node to a power outlet.
- Connect the secondary node to the primary node using Ethernet cable, and as you do so, the nodes will switch to wired connection automatically.
Note: Use CAT5e Ethernet Cable or higher
- If you want to add more nodes, then repeat step 2 and 3. As you set up the node in the right location, connect the node with a higher level node using an Ethernet cable
That sums the wired Velop system setup.
Note: Keep in mind that the nodes are plugged into a power source as they don’t provide power over the Ethernet, but can use managed or unmanaged switches
How to perform Velop setup in Bridge Mode?
When you set up Linksys Velop System in Bridge Mode, then you can add it with your existing Wi-Fi. If you are using a router or a modem/router combo and want to keep using it, then add a Velop system to increase its Wi-Fi coverage. There won’t be a separate network for Velop system in the bridge mode. All nodes and client devices that are connected to Velop’s Wi-Fi or the modem/router will be on the same network and can easily communicate with other devices connected to the same network.
Things you need prior to setting up Velop System in Bridge Mode:
- Using a standard set up a process to set up Velop is the first thing you need to do because it is only after this that you will be able to switch to bridge mode.
- Make sure to install the latest version of Linksys app on your mobile device. Velop nodes should run on the latest firmware version. To verify, access the dashboard in the Linksys app and then go to Velop Admin. Check the status of firmware in the ‘Firmware Version’ section of Velop admin page. If you see an update, then there will be some info available regarding it on the page.
- Keep in mind to connect the mobile device to Velop’s Wi-Fi if you wish to change the connection type to bridge mode, especially when the device is remotely connected to the node.
Things to remember:
- If the initial Velop system comes with secondary nodes, which are already connected, then the rest of the secondary nodes will work in bridge mode after you switch to it.
- As you switch to bridge mode, you’ll be able to add more secondary nodes by selecting the ‘Set Up a new product’ option.
- If you want to keep the connected type changed to a previous mode or disable the bridge mode, then go to ‘Navigation’ menu, then, ‘Advanced Settings’ after which, you need to go to ‘internet settings’ followed by ‘Connection Type’. As you reach ‘Connection Type’, you need to click ‘Disable Bridge Mode’.
- While remaining in the bridge mode, a few features will cease to work such as Device List, Device Prioritization, Wi-Fi Mac Filters, Parental Controls, and Speed Check.
Follow these steps to set up Velop Wi-Fi System in Bridge Mode:
- Launch the Linksys app and go to the dashboard.
- Tap ‘Menu’ icon.
- Now, tap ‘Advanced’ settings and then, tap ‘Internet Settings’.
- Tap ‘Connection Type’ arrow or go to ‘Internet Settings’ page.
- Change the connection type to ‘Bridge Mode’.
Note: If you are not able to see Bridge Mode option, then check in case the app is up-to-date and Velop nodes feature the latest firmware.
- Tap ‘Save’.
- Tap ‘Enable Bridge Mode’.
The moment you save settings, the devices connected to the network will go offline for a few minutes.
You will see this message ‘Your Velop is in bridge mode’ on the dashboard of the app. Now, you need to connect the primary node to the existing router using an Ethernet cable, while other nodes connect either via Ethernet cables or wirelessly.
How to perform Linksys Velop login?
By opening the web interface through Linksys Velop router login, you can change or alter the settings of the existing router which includes:
- Firewall settings.
- SSID or the password.
- DHCP client address.
- Username and password.
All these settings are accessible through the router login page itself. The steps to login to the Linksys Velop router are:
- Connect the computer or the laptop to the internet with SSID as mentioned on the Linksys Velop.
- Open the web browser from the computer and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address space. You will be prompted for login. Click ‘Yes’ to continue. Enter the username and the password in the fields given on the screen.
- Key-in username in the first field and it is written on the back of the hardware, if you have not changed the default one.
- Type the password in the next field. You can check the default password again from the sticker pasted on the rear or from the guided manual.
- Click ‘Login’. You are now successfully login to the router.
This is how you can perform Linksys Velop login from the computer browser and alter settings of your router.
How to do Linksys router login?
The below mentioned steps will help you performing Linksys router login using the default router username and the password.
- Connect to the Linksys network from any device using either the wired or wireless connection. If the default password is not known to you, then you can go with the wired network.
- From the web browser like chrome, safari or internet explorer, enter the default IP address of the router which is 192.168.1.1. If this IP address doesn’t work in your case, then you can go to the official website and get the IP address for your router model after entering its serial number.
- Enter Linksys router username in the first field. This username may vary from model to model, so get this confirmed from the experts. The login credentials also include the password.
- Enter the password in the next field followed by pressing ‘Enter’.
- Once login, you will find the Linksys web interface from where you can change the settings of the existing router or perform a setup for new router.
How to perform Linksys Smart WiFi setup?
The steps for performing the Linksys smart Wi-Fi setup are given here as under:
Step 1: If your router came with an antenna, then connect the antennas to the router first and plug the router to the power supply. Check the power button given on the back. If it is turned off, then press to turn it on.
Step 2: Connect the router to the modem using the Ethernet cable.
Step 3: Connect to the Wi-Fi. You can check the credentials either from the manual or from the rear of the hardware.
Step 4: Open web browser and enter http://linksyssmartwifi.com in the given space.
Step 5: Click on the checkbox given next to ‘I have read terms and conditions’.
Step 6: Click ‘Next’ to proceed.
Step 7: In the router update window, you will find the ‘Automatic update’ option is enabled by default. If you want to disable auto-updates, then uncheck the box.
Step 8: Enter the wireless name and the password in the given field and click ‘Next’.
Step 9: Change the name of the Wi-Fi for 2.4 and 5 GHz band and return to setup.
Note: If you find any problem in changing the password, you can take expert’s advice.
Step 10: Enter the password in ‘Create password’ field.
Step 11: You will find ‘Router successfully setup’ message on the screen which confirms the setup is successful. The wireless settings and the new admin password will appear on the screen. You can note down the changes on the startup guide for future reference.
Step 12: You are now taken to ‘Linksys Smart Wi-Fi account page’.
How do I login to Linksys Smart WiFi login page using www.linksyssmartwifi.com?
- On the web browser of your computer, go to http://linksyssmartwifi.com login page.
- The login page will open.
- Type the login username and the password in the respective fields.
- Press ‘Enter’.
- The basic home page of your router now appears.
How To Personalize Wi-Fi Settings on Velop system?
Linksys Velop System empowers you to personalize your Wi-Fi system, but in order to do it, you need to follow certain steps:
- Open Linksys app, then using your Linksys cloud account, log into the app. Alternatively, you can tap ‘Login with Router Password’ link instead of entering the admin password.
- Tap the ‘Menu’ icon given on the Dashboard.
- Now, tap ‘Wi-Fi settings’ followed by tapping the field that you want to change. Once done, tap ‘Save’.
- You can personalize Wi-Fi settings via Velop’s web interface, but then, you need to follow certain steps for it.
- Log into your Linksys smart wifi Account.
- Click the option labeled as ‘Wi-Fi Settings’, which you can find under ‘Router Settings’.
- If you want to use same Wi-Fi settings for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, then that is very much possible, or if you want to use different settings for each band, then that too can be made possible.
- In case you are using same Wi-Fi settings, then enter a preferred Wi-Fi name and password under ‘Wi-Fi settings’ option and then, select two options labeled as ‘Security Mode’ and ‘Wi-Fi Mode’.
- If you are using different settings, then click the option named ‘Show More’, which is under ‘Wi-Fi Settings’.
- Enter and select the preferred settings for each band and once you are done with the settings, click ‘Apply’.
- The moment you see a window being popped up in which it is asked to use different Wi-Fi names, then click ‘Use different names’ option.
- When you see another window popping up in which it’s written ‘you are updating Wi-Fi settings’ then click ‘Yes’ to that.
- Finally, click ‘Ok’.
Now, your Velop system will restart and the devices connected to the network will be disconnected until the system starts working normally, which will take a few minutes.
How To Configure Velop Network DNS Settings?
The process of configuring DNS settings of Linksys Velop is discussed here as under:
- Log into Velop dashboard on Linksys app.
- Tap ‘Navigation’ menu.
- Go to ‘Advanced’ settings and then, ‘Local Network Settings’.
- Scroll down to DNS settings section and then, tap ‘>’ icon.
- By default, ‘Auto’ is selected, so change it to ‘Manual’ followed by entering DNS settings.
- After entering all the details, don’t forget to click on ‘Save’.
That sums up the configuring of DNS settings on Velop network.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How many Velop nodes can be connected?
You can’t connect more than 3 nodes to the Velop mesh, yes if the nodes are more than three, then another network will be created and you need a modem or router with additional Ethernet port on it.
Why Linksys Velop keeps on disconnecting?
If the connecting keeps on disconnecting, then check if there is any interfering device available nearby. Check if the firmware upgrade is available on your router. If the connection still drops, then try Ethernet connection.
Does Linksys Velop support VPN?
Yes, it support VPN like IPsec, point-to-point Tunneling protocol, Layer 2 tunneling protocol (L2TP).
How many devices can be handled by Velop?
You can connect up to 10 Velop devices to handle wireless traffic at your home. Each Velop makes use of MU-MIMO technology to provide concurrent streaming of data to all clients at a time.
How do I get Linksys Velop support?
If you are not able to login to the Linksys Velop, then you can visit the official website and get the support after entering the model number of your Velop router. The technical experts are available 24×7 on 800-326-7114.
- Some issues are discussed in the frequently asked question section, so you can click on ‘Quick solutions’ link from the home page of Linksys router.
- If you want to chat live with the support experts, you can click on https://www.linksys.com/us/support/#product-chat
- The support team is also available on social media handles like Twitter through https://twitter.com/linksyscares
- For answers related to the common questions or Velop setup, you can visit the community page link https://community.linksys.com/?category.id=English