Linksys has come up with an incredible routing device that is most likely to be prevalent in the days to come. The name of the device is Velop, and it is the whole-home Wi-Fi system, which resembles Netgear Orbi. The reason why Linksys unveiled a mesh-router system is that the traditional routers were unable to cover the entire premises with strong and consistent internet connectivity.
Linksys Velop can work as both the router as well as Wi-Fi Extender, thus providing users with lightning fast and extremely reliable internet signals when required. To transform the unit into a Wi-Fi extender, users just need to add a new router or node to their existing router system. As they do so, the internet network is going to become ultra-fast.
Linksys Velop is available as a single device, but when it comes to using the Velop mesh-router system, the user will have to buy a pack of at least three Velops. They can add more devices depending upon the length of the signal they want the internet signal to extend to. Moreover, there is no need to create multiple Wi-Fi names and passwords, as the credentials created at the time of setting up the primary node will be used throughout. Moreover, the signal won’t be lost when you are going from one room to another within the house. To enjoy the features of Linksys Velop, you need to first understand the process of setting up the device.
How To Setup Linksys Velop?
Linksys Velop setup is a process that can be the simplest to the most difficult processes at the same. You will experience both extremes in a single process, that’s how weird the setup procedure is.
- Prior to setting up the device, you need to fulfill the most important prerequisites, i.e., downloading and installing Linksys Mobile App, which is available for both iOS and Android platforms.
- Once you download the app, create an account on the same and then, start adding the nodes.
- With this app, the process of Linksys smart Wifi router setup becomes easier, as you are aware of every single connection. All the information about the connection and configuration of nodes and their placement in the house will be given in the app.
- You can set up Linksys Velop in two ways. In the first way, you can use Velops as access points that would work with an existing router. In case, the router supports USB sharing, then you can use that feature as well. The second method includes one of the nodes replacing the existing router and all the access points. This is the end of the ‘simple’ Linksys Velop set up process, and with that, the difficult process begins.
- Now, the difficulties in setting up Linksys Velop comes due to the fact that there isn’t an option beyond the app route. All other routers offer a web-based menu system, but not Linksys Velop. The service is available, but only for Linksys people and not for users.
- This also indicates that the Linksys Velop system can only be configured and fixed if the user is using a mobile device with the Linksys app installed on it.
- Despite installing the app, the setup process is not going to conclude quickly, as it usually takes around five minutes for setting up each node, so the more nodes you have, the more time it will take.
- The system also starts applying firmware updates on its own, which usually occurs in the middle of the night. The updates are downloaded and run as soon as the Velop system is set up. The entire process takes 30 minutes to complete.
- Linksys Velop comes with a synced router and a hub pair that need to be plugged and turned on. After that, you need to wait for a couple of minutes to let the device to boot up and sync. Now, the device is ready. You can easily change the default settings of the system from the menu, but if you are satisfied with the same, then the Velop setup process ends right here.
How To Set Up A Wired Velop System?
Linksys Velopis a robust internet system, which can be connected wirelessly as well with Ethernet cables. While everybody is aware of the wireless setup, it will be interesting to know as to how to set up a wired Velop system. The advantage of setting wired Velop system is to increase the speed and range of the internet and reducing the chances of wireless interference.
Only the primary node is set up using an Ethernet cable, so if you want to set up additional nodes, then those will be done wirelessly. Once you are done with Linksys Velop setup, connect nodes using Ethernet cables. The nodes will be switched automatically to a wired connection.
To set up a wired Velop connection, follow these steps:
- Launch the Linksys app and set up a primary node using it.
- On the Linksys app, include a secondary node via wireless setup.
- Once you’re done with Linksys smart Wifi setup, move the secondary node to the location where internet signal usually remains weak. Now, connect the node to a power outlet.
- Connect the secondary node to the primary node using Ethernet cable, and as you do so, the nodes will switch to wired connection automatically.
Note: Use CAT5e Ethernet Cable or higher
- If you want to add more nodes, then repeat step 2 and 3. As you set up the node in the right location, connect the node with a higher level node using an Ethernet cable
That sums the wired Velop system setup.
Note: Keep in mind that the nodes are plugged into a power source as they don’t provide power over the Ethernet, but can use managed or unmanaged switches
How to setup Velop System in Bridge Mode?
When you set up Linksys Velop System in Bridge Mode, then you can add it with your existing Wi-Fi. If you are using a router or a modem/router combo and want to keep using it, then add a Velop system to increase its Wi-Fi coverage. There won’t be a separate network for Velop system in the bridge mode. All nodes and client devices that are connected to Velop’s Wi-Fi or the modem/router will be on the same network and can easily communicate with other devices connected to the same network.
Things you need prior to setting up Velop System in Bridge Mode:
- Using a standard set up a process to set up Velop is the first thing you need to do because it is only after this that you will be able to switch to bridge mode.
- Make sure to install the latest version of Linksys app on your mobile device. Velop nodes should run on the latest firmware version. To verify, access the dashboard in the Linksys app and then go to Velop Admin. Check the status of firmware in the ‘Firmware Version’ section of Velop admin page. If you see an update, then there will be some info available regarding it on the page.
- Keep in mind to connect the mobile device to Velop’s Wi-Fi if you wish to change the connection type to bridge mode, especially when the device is remotely connected to the node.
Things to remember:
- If the initial Velop system comes with secondary nodes, which are already connected, then the rest of the secondary nodes will work in bridge mode after you switch to it.
- As you switch to bridge mode, you’ll be able to add more secondary nodes by selecting the ‘Set Up a new product’ option.
- If you want to keep the connected type changed to a previous mode or disable the bridge mode, then go to ‘Navigation’ menu, then, ‘Advanced Settings’ after which, you need to go to ‘internet settings’ followed by ‘Connection Type’. As you reach ‘Connection Type’, you need to click ‘Disable Bridge Mode’.
- While remaining in the bridge mode, a few features will cease to work such as Device List, Device Prioritization, Wi-Fi Mac Filters, Parental Controls, and Speed Check.
Follow these steps to set up Velop Wi-Fi System in Bridge Mode:
- Launch the Linksys app and go to the dashboard.
- Tap ‘Menu’ icon.
- Now, tap ‘Advanced’ settings and then, tap ‘Internet Settings’.
- Tap ‘Connection Type’ arrow or go to ‘Internet Settings’ page.
- Change the connection type to ‘Bridge Mode’.
Note: If you are not able to see Bridge Mode option, then check in case the app is up-to-date and Velop nodes feature the latest firmware.
- Tap ‘Save’.
- Tap ‘Enable Bridge Mode’.
The moment you save settings, the devices connected to the network will go offline for a few minutes. After they are back online, you will be directed to the dashboard of the app.
You will see this message ‘Your Velop is in bridge mode’ on the dashboard of the app. Now, you need to connect the primary node to the existing router using an Ethernet cable, while other nodes connect either via Ethernet cables or wirelessly.
How To Personalize Wi-Fi Settings On Velop System?
Linksys Velop System empowers you to personalize your Wi-Fi system, but in order to do it, you need to follow certain steps:
- Open Linksys app, then using your Linksys cloud account, log into the app. Alternatively, you can tap ‘Login with Router Password’ link instead of entering the admin password.
- Tap the ‘Menu’ icon given on the Dashboard.
- Now, tap ‘Wi-Fi settings’ followed by tapping the field that you want to change. Once done, tap ‘Save’.
- You can personalize Wi-Fi settings via Velop’s web interface, but then, you need to follow certain steps for it.
- Log into your Linksys Cloud Account.
- Click the option labeled as ‘Wi-Fi Settings’, which you can find under ‘Router Settings’.
- If you want to use same Wi-Fi settings for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, then that is very much possible, or if you want to use different settings for each band, then that too can be made possible.
- In case you are using same Wi-Fi settings, then enter a preferred Wi-Fi name and password under ‘Wi-Fi settings’ option and then, select two options labeled as ‘Security Mode’ and ‘Wi-Fi Mode’.
- If you are using different settings, then click the option named ‘Show More’, which is under ‘Wi-Fi Settings’.
- Enter and select the preferred settings for each band and once you are satisfied with the settings, click ‘Apply’.
- The moment you see a window being popped up in which it is asked to use different Wi-Fi names, then click ‘Use different names’ option.
- When you see another window popping up in which it’s written ‘you are updating Wi-Fi settings’ then click ‘Yes’ to that.
- Finally, click ‘Ok’.
Now, your Velop system will restart and the devices connected to the network will be disconnected until the system starts working normally, which will take a few minutes.
How To Configure Velop Network DNS Settings?
The process of configuring DNS settings of Linksys Velop can be done by following these steps:
- Log into Velop dashboard on Linksys app.
- Tap ‘Navigation’ menu.
- Go to ‘Advanced’ settings and then, ‘Local Network Settings’.
- Scroll down to DNS settings section and then, tap ‘>’ icon.
- By default, ‘Auto’ will be selected, so change it to ‘Manual’ followed by entering DNS settings.
- Once all the settings are entered, tap ‘Save’.
That sums up the configuring of DNS settings on Velop network.
Linksys Velop is a premium looking device that functions flawlessly, provided all the settings are done properly. However, many users have experienced errors in this device due to several reasons. Let’s find out as to what the common problems in Linksys Velop are:
- Problems in password reset of Velop Wi-Fi system
- Unable to sign up on Linksys app
- Not able to configure DNS settings on Velop
- Can’t set up wired Velop system
- Unable to personalize Wi-Fi settings in Velop
- Can’t set up Velop in Bridge mode
- Unable to setup Velop via Linksys App
- How to setup Linksys Velop whole home Wi-Fi
- Velop connection issues
- Linksys Velop not connecting to the modem
- Velop not connecting to the closest node
- Linksys Velop troubleshooting
- Linksys Velop wired backhaul with switch
- Linksys Velop setup with router
- Linksys Velop stuck in setup
- Velop connection issues
- Linksys Velop randomly loses connection
- Linksys Velop no internet connection
- Linksys Velop won’t connect to the internet
- Velop dropping connection
These problems definitely seem annoying, but they aren’t stubborn. With a little assistance, you will be able to overcome these problems. Now, to get that little assistance, you need to contact Linksys Velop support, which remains available round the clock for the help of its customers. You can give experts a call and get the best solution for the problem that you’re facing.